Oak House, Grewelthorpe. Previously known as the Royal Oak public house.
1853. The first mention of the Royal Oak is a license application for John Bray. He was fined for selling beer on a Sunday.
1863. George Firby offered the Royal Oak for let.
1864 John Cates new licensee.
1869 Mrs Metcalfe widow. had license.
1871 census entry for widow Metcalfe at Royal Oak.
1873 Mrs Allinson transferred license to Charles Coldbeck
1875 William Allanson had license.
? Horace Ingleby licensee.
The pub was used for important meetings like inquests and auctions.
1881 cenus entry for Royal Oak
1882 Willis Ingleby transferred to Thomas Brown.
1883 George Calvert licensee.
1888 J.L.Wooler licensee.
1889. Thomas Alton was the owner of the building.
1890 Jonathan Tweedy transferred to Jane Kipling.
1891 census record for Jane Kipling It’s interesting to see that Henry Herring is Jane’s brother.
1893 Jane Kipling
1894 Charles Coldbeck transferred to Henry Herring.
1895 William Morley.
1899 John Feather
Royal Oak. Grewelthorpe. date unknown.
1901 census entry for Royal Oak.
1906 John Kingston applied for a transfer of license.
Newspaper report in 1908.
1911 Samuel Bellamy transferred to Charles Henry Powell in 1913.
1911 census entry for Royal Oak.
The Royal Oak in early 20th century.
1915 John Feather
The Royal Oak lost its license in 1915 and the following year was put up for sale to be made into a house.
A description of the house in 1915. The year it lost its license.
1916 The building is put up for sale, to be made into a house.
1939 register for Oak House and Oak Cottage
Research by Barbara Bradley Oct 2022.
If you have any photos or other information about this building please get in touch.